Friday, 10 April 2015

I Is For Cat Island

A to Z Blogging Challenge

It might sound like a nightmare to some but a dream to a cat lover - an island full of cats,,,

I is for Cat Island







To be honest, I'm not sure if an island full to the rafters with cats is my idea of heaven or hell! I have enough trouble with one little furry feline, I'm not sure how I would cope with hundreds of them.

But off the coast of Japan is the island of Aoshima where cats outnumber people by six to one. Known locally as Nekojima - Japanese for Cat Island - it measures just 1.21 square miles (3.14 square kilometres). Fifty years ago the island had a population of 1,000 (people, not cats) but now there are fewer than 100 living there.

Cats are believed to be lucky, especially if you feed them and look after them, and the remaining residents feel very protective. There are regular visits from a vet and dogs are banned.

The cats are descendants of those taken to the island  by fishermen who used them to protect silkworms, which made material for fishing nets, and their boats from mice.

There are other Nekojimas off the coast of Japan, with similar stories to tell.   


Pleased to meet you - cats on Aoshima.



Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.
Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Fuzzy Tales said...

We'd heard about this island and the cats' caretakers. The most I've ever had at once was three and the dynamic wasn't good, so it was a struggle. In this case, they're outdoors, though, and would come and go as they please, so it sounds like a pretty wonderful life! It's fabulous that there are residents who care enough to stay and look after them. Not sure if they're spaying and neutering, though, I would hope so.

Thanks for stopping by! :-)

Freya3377 said...

Six to one. Those are some numbers...!!! All the cats seem well fed and healthy. I wonder how they all get fed though? That's a lot of food.
An island overrun by cats is a place I'd like to visit someday. Thanks for sharing.

Freya3377 said...

Six to one. Those are some numbers...!!! All the cats seem well fed and healthy. I wonder how they all get fed though? That's a lot of food.
An island overrun by cats is a place I'd like to visit someday. Thanks for sharing.

Birgit said...

Boy poor stumpy seems to have been dissed by the other cats! That is allot of cats but they look like in good shape. My concern would be disease and more cats. Do they try to spay/neuter them? I bet that would be impossible

Liz A. said...

Oh my. That's taking cat hoarding to a whole new level.

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Su-sieee! Mac said...

I think Molly the Cat and me would freak out if went to the Island of Cats. Shudder.
The View from the Top of the Ladder
Take 25 to Hollister

Mark Clough said...

Nope, that sounds just a bit creepy. No offence, cats.