Tuesday, 14 April 2015

L Is For Cat Language

Today in the A to Z Blogging Challenge...

L is for Cat Language

I TALK to my cat all the time. She's definitely a good listener - never judgemental or argumentative. She just looks at me with sympathy as I moan on about the terrible day I've had or kind of smiles if I'm telling her a funny story - admittedly both expressions are exactly the same, but interpretation is all!

I might be deluding myself about the depth of our interaction but I've been learning all about cat communication. You have to look for clues. Listen to her meows, watch what she's doing with her tail and ears, look into her eyes and study her body language.

For example:




Let's look at the tail in more detail:



You can communicate with your cat using your eyes. If my cat and I lock eyes, I blink slowly and look away. If she's in a good mood, she will copy what I do. This, apparently, is a sign of friendship. Here are some more expressive eyes.




Here is a very helpful video by Cats Protection which helps you interpret what your cat is trying to communicate.


 

Or maybe it's a case of.....




  Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.

9 comments:

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

Great post. I talk to all my cats and I think they understand.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Dead animal = gift. LOL!

I've had cats all my life and yet not one of them made a sound that could be classified as an actual meow.

Birgit said...

This was funny and so great. Love the dead animal=gift-hahahaaa. Our one cat head butts us all the time and then licks and licks. Our fat cat will purr and lick herself even when we do something she doesn't care for (like wiping her butt). Now our diva cat-Lucy will let us know when she is not pleased. Once my mom was making herself a sandwich and when she turned off the light, Lucy got off the chair(she was sitting looking out the window) and she meowed in an annoyed manner. My mom turned on the light and asked what was up. She returned to the chair but when my mom turned the light off again-Lucy meowed again and came to her. My mom realized Lucy wanted the light left on which my mom did:)

Kat Morrisey said...

I totally talk to my cat...all the time! She looks at me half the time like I'm nuts, but the other half she seems to get it. :) And she always knows when I'm sad and need a cuddle. Or if I'm sick (like I was this weekend), she insists on snuggling against me and purring. It always makes me feel better. (Until the antibiotics kick in! lol) Love the post and I learned a lot of signs to look for when communicating with Duchess. Thanks!!

That's Purrfect said...

They all have their unique personalities, don't they? Love the story about Lucy!

That's Purrfect said...

My cat meows all the time, especially when you first get in after a day out. Not sure whether she's pleased to see me or just telling me off for leaving her!

That's Purrfect said...

My cat understands me - I'm not sure I always understand her!

That's Purrfect said...

I think cats and dogs are very intuitive when it comes to picking up emotions. Thanks for visiting - I will be over to read your blog!

Mark Clough said...

One of the phrases most commonly used by Merkel and Mimi is "feed us". We all understand that one very clearly. Talking of gifts one or other of them left a large rat on the doorstep this morning. How sweet.