Friday, 17 April 2015

O Is For Cats With Opposable Thumbs


Today in the A to Z Blogging Challenge...

O is for Opposable Thumbs

IT seems that without fully opposable thumbs, the human race might today be swinging about in trees rather than sitting at laptops writing blogs about cats - what a cat-astrophe that would be. The opposable thumb is a masterpiece of  human evolution. It helped us to grip objects and subsequently develop accurate motor skills, hence the development of tools. And, say the scientists, this led to more human co-operation and the development of language.

Although other primates have thumbs, they are not so dexterous as ours. We are the only animal with fully opposable thumbs.

However.... just imagine if cats had opposable thumbs. What kind of world would we live in? Take a look below.




Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.

18 comments:

Zannie A-Z visitor said...

that pic at the top made me laugh - then I got a teeny bit scared

onespoiledcat said...

YAY! I have thumbs - and I'm proud of them......Loved the video - we polydactyls are soooooo talented and special...tee hee

Hugs, Sammy

Carole Anne Carr said...

Cats with thumbs, now that to me is quite scary, what would they get up to!

S. L. Hennessy said...

Oh goodness, I can just imagine the greater amount of havoc my kitten would cause.

Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

Stephen Tremp said...

Ha! Love this post as the cats in my latest MS of course have no opposable digits.

Liz A. said...

I'll have to check out the video later. But that's a rather scary thought. All cats would then need was language, and they'd take over...

Liz A. from Laws of Gravity

Darla M Sands said...

That's an awesome commercial. And I have a theory that cats are tool users and we are the tools. What do you think? Best wishes!

Birgit said...

OK I am laughing so hard right now-that is hilarious!!I have to show my hubby

Mee Magnum said...

Ahahahaha! You had me going there for a while.

--Mee (<a href="http://www.thechinesequest.com>The Chinese Quest</a>)

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

I only have one kitty with thumbs :)

PL Keenor said...

It is rather sinister!

PL Keenor said...

I've never seen a polydactyl cat. I bet they are adorable!

PL Keenor said...

It would certainly be a different world!dd

PL Keenor said...

Thanks for good wishes. Well, I've got to O so the end is in sight. Good luck to you too.

PL Keenor said...

Maybe animals with opposable thumbs could be the subject of a future MS - I'd read it!

PL Keenor said...

Oh dear - I'm convinced my cat can talk. My days are numbered!

PL Keenor said...

You are so right!

Amrit Sinha said...

Ha ha ha :D