Thursday, 23 April 2015

T is for Cats Talking

Today in the A to Z Blogging Challenge...

T is for Cats Talking

When cats communicate with each other they very rarely meow. That is reserved for humans.

Cats have other ways of communicating with each other like leaving their scent to mark their territory, essentially saying: "Keep off, bro." They use body language like the arched back to say, "You're pushing me to the limit, bro," or facial expressions, "You touch this mouse and you're history," or touch, "Yeah, baby, yeah."

A kitten will meow to get attention - "FEED ME" or "Look how cute I am; I need a cuddle," - but apart from that there is very little meowing when they grow up.

So why do cats meow to humans? Because it works! In fact some scientists say cats have developed specific meows just for humans so they can manipulate us. Surely not!

Dr. Nicholas Nicastro, Ph.D., did a thesis on how people interpret cats' meows, compiling a  sample of 100 different vocalizations from 12 cats.

He said:  "Though they lack language, cats have become very skilled at managing humans to get what they want -- basically food, shelter and a little human affection." No surprise there then!

Here are some cats talking to people:





If they don't talk to you, they will talk to each other:




Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.
Bookmark and Share

5 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

I understand Siamese and their relative breeds are especially talkative. We have so much feline communication in my home that I cannot imagine having a chattier cat. ~grin~ My blog at http://darlamsands.blogspot.com/ is number 1219 on the A to Z list today. Looks like our numbers our still dropping, unfortunately. Best wishes!

Birgit said...

Oh this is so true! I never thought that they never meow with the others but most don't...except our Naddie! He is a boy so he whines a lot (typical). When he wants to play with his wife, Lucy, he will meow in a different way for her to come and pounce on him. They all let us know by their meows. Now the 2 at the bottom video just made me think that they are asking where Trixie is. She always walks by in the flirtatious way but she hasn't been by yet. The other is agreeing and is annoyed by this. -I guess I make up stories:)

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

Very true, I think cats communicate with one another telepathically. :)

Liz A. said...

I was just going to say that!

When the cat is away said...

Ah! I didn't know that cats don't meow at each other! I just got my cats two days ago (exciting!!), but I didn't get that they mean me when they're meowing. Nevertheless, they do rule me out.


A2Z challenge. www.whenthecatisaway.com Participant number 1238