Wednesday, 13 May 2015

The Cat With The Loudest Purr In The World

Tracy Westwood and Merlin.

WHAT a purrfect story for That's Purrfect.  Merlin, a cat who lives not far from me, has achieved a Guinness World Record for the loudest purr.

Merlin, who lives with Tracy Westwood in Torquay, Devon, UK, has been recorded as having a 67.8dB purr which is as loud a hand drill and loud enough to drown out the sound of a dishwasher. It's only 10dB below the noise of a pneumatic drill.

‘Sometimes on the telephone I do get people asking me what that noise is in the background,’ said Tracy. ‘I tell them it’s the cat – but I don’t know if they believe me. Occasionally when he’s really loud I have to repeat myself. When you’re watching films you have to turn the telly up or put him out of the room. I can hear him when I’m drying my hair.’

Merlin came to live with Tracy from a rescue home 13 years ago. Even as a kitten he purred louder than an adult cat.

Tracy read about the holder of the record, a cat called Smokey with a 67.68dB purr and was sure Merlin was louder. She contacted the Guinness World Records.

As a result Merlin is not only a record-breaker but also a TV star. His purr was recorded by a sound engineer in the presence of a  Guinness World Records adjudicator on a TV show called Cats Make You Laugh Out Loud 2.

Do you have a cat whose purr is louder than Merlin's? Here he is:



Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.
Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

angelswhisper2011 said...

I had a very soft purr, but now I'm getting older, I purr louder than ever...and Granny loves it :D Pawkisses for a Happy Wednesday :) <3

Birgit said...

That is a loud purr! Let's hope he doesn't purr when trying to catch a mouse, he won't have a chance. The purr actually reminds me of a cat we had when I was young. She was so loud that you could hear her from way across the lawn (My mom refused to have animals in the house). I have no idea if she was this loud but she was loud and it had the same inflections Merlin has.

The Daily Pip said...

He does have quite a loud purr! Very cute!

The Whiskeratti said...

Oh my Ceiling Cat! That is pawsome! TY for visiting our blog this morning. We always luff seeing new pawprints.

Pat Hatt said...

lol that is one loud purr indeed. he's a happy camper though and that's all that matters.

Kitties Blue said...

We did not know that Smokey's record had been broken. Mom always thought Astrid was louder than Smokey, but she thinks that Merlin probably has her beat. Thanks for sharing this interesting story. XOCK, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

Sunni said...

Oh my! I love this! What a beautiful boy! I think my kitten could give him a run for his money in the purr dept. I adopted him as a baby fifteen months ago and he purrs ALL the time and LOUDLY. I've had a lot of cats in my life but none that purr as loud as Raven. Of course I love him to death!

Congrats to Merlin for making it in the Guiness Book of records. Merlin's a great name too!

Sunni

http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Marty the Manx said...

How fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing :) Mom can't stop smiling it made her so happy!
Marty

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

Very impressive purr.

Liz A. said...

I did not know cats could purr that loud. Wow.

Darla M Sands said...

Amazing. I thought my cat purred loudly but not compared to that. Though I must add that my cat's snore is so loud that my mother thought someone was running a chain saw out back when she visited.

dezizworld said...

Purretty cool indeed. Weez boff stawted purrin' tight back. Mommy kuldn't hear a fing then. MOL (weez purretty loud too.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Lexi

Austin Towers said...

Are you sure that's a kitty purr? MOL It sounds like a pneumatic drill digging up the road!! ;)