Monday, 31 August 2015

Cats As Superior Beings


by Pat Keenor

All cat owners are aware of the superior air exhibited by their pets. They seem to relish their independence but generously allow us to be their closest companions. Dogs learn tricks but cats are practically untrainable and they have managed to convince us that it's not because they are less intelligent but because they really can't be bothered. They manipulate us with their wiles and entrance us - when they feel like it - with their quirky behaviour and so wrap us around their little paws. Some of the most talented and clever people in the world have recognised the fact that cats are superior and sometimes supercilious beings. I'll let them tell  you all about it in their own words.




Poet Percy Bysshe Shelley


"When my cats aren't happy, I'm not happy. Not because I care about their mood but
because I know they're just sitting there thinking up ways to get even." 


Comedian and actor Bill Dana


"I had been told that the training procedure with cats was difficult. It's not.
Mine had me trained in two days." 


Actor Kandyse McClure



"I read that when cats are cuddling and kneading you, and you think it's cute, 
they're really just checking your vitals for weak spots."

Writer and journalist Christopher Hitchens


"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and
shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled
to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection,
they draw the conclusion that they are God."


Spiritual teacher Eckhart Tolle


"I have lived with several Zen masters - all of them cats."


Writer Terry Pratchett



"In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this."


Writer Cleveland Amory


"As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well knows,
cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human kind."


Poet Pam Brown


"Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that
will cause most inconvenience."


Writer Neil Gaiman


"Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets."


Writer Mark Twain


“Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of the leash. 
That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve 
the man, but it would deteriorate the cat.”


Writer Elizabeth Peters


"The way to get on with a cat is to treat it as an equal - or even better,
as the superior it knows itself to be."


Horror writer H. P. Lovecraft


"The cat is such a perfect symbol of beauty and superiority that it seems scarcely possible
for any true aesthete and civilised cynic to do other than worship it."


Writer and film-maker Megan Boyle


"My cat is always looking at me like I am forgetting something
crucial and he depends on it."


Blogger and writer Will Wiles



"Nothing snubs quite like a cat. What evolutionary purpose did it serve, 
this inherent disdain, this artful blanking?"


Critic and historian Hippolyte Taine


"The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior."




Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.
Bookmark and Share

11 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

Fabulous quotes. Our cats are considered tool users in this house. We have the opposable thumbs and thus we are the tools. ~grin~ Thank you for sharing!

Liz A. said...

Love the Pratchett quote. I remember reading that in whichever book it was and thinking that line was brilliant. (My two favorite Pratchett quotes are that one and the one about a coven needing three witches.)

Birgit said...

These are such great quotes. I think my favourites are Mark Twain, Shelley, and Bill Dana

Caren Gittleman said...

No surprise here! Of course they are! Mark Twain's is one of my all time faves!
catchatwithcarenandcody

Deziz World said...

Pawsum posty. We agwee wiff most everyfin' sed. MOL Have a pawsum day.

Luv ya'

Dezi and Lexi

When the cat is away said...

Haha, great ones! I'm still stupid enough to believe that my clicker training will lead anywhere. ��

Marie Symeou said...

Great quotes! I certainly agree with most of them. However, even though Shelley is one of my fave poets I'm not sure whether I agree with him here because I really do care about my cat's mood :)

athenacatgoddess.com
purrsfulloflove.com

Sometimes, Cats Herd You said...

We love that Bill Dana quote especially! Training humans is a big job.

Cathy Keisha said...

I have my humans trained—at least I better.—CK 2015

Sunni said...

I love all these and they're all true.

Sunni
http://sunni-survivinglife.blogspot.com/

Austin Towers said...

Great quotes! Mine would be "When I look at you with something akin to love in my eyes, I'm really just assessing the mayhem potential in my next move!" Austin Towers 2015