Saturday, 16 April 2016

Noses



Yes, it's me, Carlton The Special One

For the duration of the A to Z Challenge, Carlton Cat will be taking over this blog. He's a little bit of a maverick moggie with strong views.

Noses

The Mr and Mrs were on their laptops doing something called "surfing the net". I'm a bit pissed off with them as neither would allow me to sit on their keyboards. I was only trying to be helpful, keeping a look out for viruses. I'm sure if I spotted one I could kill it with one swipe.

The Mrs said: "Look at this, Interesting Facts About A Cat's Nose."  I went cross-eyed trying to look at my own nose. It didn't seem "interesting" to me. The Mr looked up briefly from an "interesting"  (oh yeah?) website of woodworking machinery. He disappears most days to do something called "cabinet-making". Don't ask me - I haven't a clue.

The Mrs started to read:

"A cat's nose plays a crucial role in their lives trapping bacteria and other nasty irritants found in the air."

Enough! I don't even want to THINK about bacteria on the end of my nose, thank you very much.

She read on and on and on. It was an interesting article but her voice is a bit "blah". I could tell the Mr had stopped listening. He was gazing lovingly at a state-of-the-art spindle moulder. (Yes - there IS such a thing.)

I was concentrating, not on the article but on trying to extricate a particularly sticky burr from my butt, but I heard this bit: "A cat's sense of smell is also often referred to as “olifaction” and it's much keener than that of a human." So, olifaction guaranteed - LOL, I'm so funny….

Then it all got a bit icky. The Mrs rabbited on about discharges, fungal infections and abscesses. No, just stop now.

Here's my perfect proboscis.

Finally, she listed these "interesting facts":

  • A cat's nose is as unique to a particular cat as a fingerprint is to a human  - no two cats have the same nose
  • The naked skin around a cat's nostrils is known as “nose leather”
  •  The colour of a cat's nose leather depends on the colour of their coats – it can be pink, black, blue, chocolate, brown, lavender and brick red
  • Chinchilla cats have nose leather that's outlined with a lovely grey colour
  • Some cats even boast freckles on their noses

If you want to read the full article, it's HERE.

For goodness sake hop over to the Mrs's blog Around My Kitchen Table. She's moaning because I'm getting more visitors.


Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.
Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

Of *course* you get more visitors, Carlton. You're purrrfect. ~grin~ But your Mrs. makes me laugh, for sure. As for noses, my Luna had the cutest pink leather with dark gray dots upon the upper right corners. I'll have to share the article, by the way. Thank you.
Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
Have a great day!

Inge H. Borg said...

Writers and Cats seem to go together. No wonder the little ones sometimes get impatient when imaginary characters take over their moms' lives.
My Pasha just sits near and stares: "I dare you to finish that chapter without paying attention to me."
Keep it up, Carlton...you'll win every time.

Kathleen Valentine said...

Carlton is a character unto himself! How can anyone not pay attention?

#AtoZchallenge
Meet My Imaginary Friends

Josie Two Shoes said...

This was a fun an interesting read! Now we want to know how your sense of smell can be so acute and you can divine the scent of food from any corner of the house... or five miles away, and yet you don't seem to mind the scent of your behind after a particularly noxious blowout in the litter box!! Do you have selective smell abilities? If you do, I'd like to acquire that! :-) XOXO
Josie
from Josie's Journal

Jo said...

Animal noses are fascinating compared to human noses.

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

Another fact: You have an adorable nose.

The Indulged Furries said...

I think it was a little rude of your parents to keep you from your keyboards.
How did information about a chinchilla's nose get to be in an article about cats? Mom likes chinchillas and she & dad had one for a couple hours....until I showed them that I really like chinchillas....like to try to catch them! They decided to take it back to the store so it would be safe.

The Island Cats said...

Those are some interesting nose facts!