Thursday, 21 April 2016

Rosemary Beetle

Yes, it's me, Carlton The Special One

For the duration of the A to Z Challenge, Carlton Cat will be taking over this blog. He's a little bit of a maverick moggie with strong views

Rosemary Beetle

Mmmm, I hear a new garden pest is on the menu. Personally, I think all living things in the garden are lunch or recreation. I love a quick nibble on a spider or a woodlouse, and mice have so little sense of direction they practically run into my mouth. I play with caterpillars, batting them around the garden like a hoop when they roll up into a  ball. As for the moths at night - was there ever a more stupid creature? They rush towards the light and get trapped; hours of endless fun watching them bounce off the light bulbs.

Now I am on the look out for something called Rosemary Beetle which, so the Mr and Mrs tell me, is spreading across Britain. I was puzzled at first, thinking it was someone called Rosemary Beatle. I thought the history books would have to be rewritten – John, Paul, George, Ringo and Rosemary.  Anyway, it seems she’s a beetle.
Here's Rosemary. She's pretty
but deadly - like a lot of
human females.

I was on the Mrs's lap when she drew my attention to the news item. "Carlton, if you see Rosemary... Kill! Kill!" she said. She gets a bit feisty sometimes, especially if Mr leaves his dirty clothes and damp towels all over the bathroom floor. I have to crawl under the duvet and block up my ears.

Rosemary Beetle emigrated here to the UK in the 1990s, liked it so much she decided to stay. She’s partial to herbs, especially rosemary, hence the name. Rosemary is one of the few plants that the Mr and Mrs can grow as they have whatever is the opposite of green fingers (red toes?).

I’m keeping an eye on the herb garden (herb garden being a rather grand term for one straggly rosemary bush, some half-dead sage, a sprig or two of thyme and some mint in a broken pot) and if I spot Rosemary, she’ll be toast.

That’ll earn me some Brownie points. I might get some of that posh cat food in a foil tray instead of something unrecognisable in a sachet they keep trying to palm me off with.

Right. Must go and do my vigilante act in the garden.

Have look at Mrs's A to Z blog Around My Kitchen Table if you have time.



Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel.

10 comments:

Tamara Narayan said...

That Rosemary beetle reminds me of the Chinese beetles that plague my parents' raspberry plants. At my home, the kitchen has been overrun in huge black ants. I usually spray or put out poison traps, but our new kitten not only kills the ants, she's eating them. Will have to find remedy that won't poison her.

Kathleen Valentine said...

That is a very tasty looking beetle!

@Kathleen01930
Meet My Imaginary Friends
#AtoZchallenge

Darla M Sands said...

My Jezebel has enjoyed dismantling a centipede or two, sending twitchy legs flying all over. ~ugh~ My silly Tilly, however, once brought me a spent bloom I'd trimmed off a shrub in the yard's furthest corner. She was so proud of the "kill" dropped at my feet on our porch that I could hardly stop chuckling.
Awakening Dreams and Conquering Nightmares with a Pen
Happy blogging!

JEN Garrett said...

The Mr in my house is allergic to rosemary so even if that beetle got into my yard, it wouldn't find much to eat. Go, Carlton, Go!

Liz A. said...

Good luck on the hunt.

Birgit said...

You go Carlton and kill that beatle even if it is pretty and gives me an idea for a card

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

I have never seen that kind of beetle around here ( Massachusetts).

Josie Two Shoes said...

Rosemary is such a beautiful beetle, Carlton. I suspect she must be mighty tasty! Be sure to let us know if you find yourself in a position to sample this rare delicacy. My furkids tend to prefer capturing the morsels off my plate. Toby can swipe a piece of steak with lightning speed, far faster than I can swat at him, but he remains somewhat puzzled about why that doesn't work as well with mashed potatoes or pudding! :-)
Josie Two Shoes
from Josie's Journal

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

She is beautiful, but she does sound like a bit of a problem! Just be careful with bugs. Sometimes they can make you very sick. XO

Jo said...

That looks like a pretty yukky beetle. I do hope you find they taste good Carlton.