Thursday, 25 February 2016

Chat With Your Cat

How to Speak Cat: A Guide to Decoding Cat Language.





Surely it cannot be! Doing my normal trawl of the internet for interesting cat stories, I spotted this one everywhere today. I had to look at the calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1st.

A lab in America has come up with a talking collar, called Catterbox, to 'bring cats and owners together'. Inventors from Mars' Temptations Lab analysed cat vocalisations and associated them with equivalent human emotions.

The lab's website says: 'Studies have shown that adult cats meow when talking to humans, not to each other. We then put this technology inside a sleek 3D printed collar which connects seamlessly to our app where you can choose your cat's new voice.

''We've analysed these cat sounds and created a program that detects a cat's meow and matches it to a human voice."

Last year, vet Gary Weitzman released a book called How to Speak Cat: A Guide to Decoding Cat Language.

He claims cats use meows to 'train' humans into fulfilling their every wish, with different meows to say 'feed me' or 'stroke me.'

Dr Weitzman has also decoded the non-vocal ways cats talk to us. For instance, extending their tails straight up equates to a human handshake, while a slow blink is like a peck on the cheek or a wink between friends.

  • Tomorrow Carlton Cat will be back with his regular Friday update. Oh dear....


Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel below or right.


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Darla M Sands said...

My partner found this collar online, too. What a crazy device!

Josie Two Shoes said...

WIth four felines "talking" to me I think I would go more crazy than I already am! :-) Carlton should test this device and gives us a review! Maybe they would give you a complimentary one in return for it!

Caren Gittleman said...

Just saw this featured on the Tiniest Tiger a few days ago. I don't think I need a collar to tell me what Cody is saying lol

catchatwithcarenandcody

Jo said...

From reading Carlton's blog for a month, it doesn't sound to me as though he needs a collar like this. Interesting that cats don't meow to one another.

Birgit said...

I just recently heard that cats don't really meow with other cats, just us which is wild...and cool. I did not know about a cat talking collar and that is also neat but I feel bad for the cat having to wear that. It should be more that we learn their language.

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

That is funny. I think I know what my cats are trying to tell me without any help.

The Island Cats said...

We think the mom already knows what we are saying....FEED US!! MOL!