Friday, 27 May 2016

Climbing Trees

 

Tree-mendous
by Carlton Cat

What can I say? I like to climb trees. High up in the branches I have a good vantage point of the surrounding area. I can see the undergrowth shaking if there is a little creature scuttling in it. I can pounce if I feel like it although usually I can't be bothered.  I can sharpen my claws on the trunk. I can look starlings in the eye and laugh at their frightened screeches as they fly away, grumbling about why a cat is on their perch.

I am a brilliant climber. Unfortunately, I am not always a brilliant getting-downer.

So it was that yesterday I was surveying my kingdom from the top of a magnificent oak tree. I had soothed an itch by rubbing my back on the rough bark. I had honed my claws to perfection. I had frightened four starlings, three sparrows, a blackbird and a cluster of bluetits. All in all a good hour's work.

I began to get sleepy and knew I mustn't drop off on the branch or I would, well - drop off.

I stepped onto the branch below - so far so good - and then onto the one below that. That's when the trouble started. I heard a long crack followed by a short sharp one and the whole branch sheared away. Oh Lord. I don't mind admitting I was a tad concerned. The next available stepping place seemed an awfully long way away.

I meowed. Nothing.

What were the Mr and Mrs doing? Why weren't they concerned about the whereabouts of their most treasured possession? ME!

Long story short. They EVENTUALLY  realised I was missing. The Mr got a ladder out of the shed and just as he gingerly reached the top of it I had the brilliant idea of stepping sideways and then down and I nimbly shimmied swiftly to the ground.

Honestly! What language - tut, tut, tut! The Mrs made a big fuss of me and I could see she was trying not to laugh at the Mr. He put the ladder away and stalked indoors. Discretion being the better part of valour, I took myself off to the spare bedroom to sleep off the trials of my day.

I think the Mr has forgiven me now.

That's all folks,

Carlton.







Never miss a funny picture, mad video or hot cat news. Subscribe to That's Purrfect and we'll email you every time the website is updated. All you have to do is pop your email address in the 'subscribe' form in the panel below or right.
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Bookmark and Share

7 comments:

Three Chatty Cats said...

Oh now! I'm glad they realized you were missing! Whew, sounds like quite an adventure.

Liz A. said...

Have you thanked Mr. for the rescue? Hmmm?

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

That is a funny story. I am glad you are OK and were able to get down.

Jo said...

I know it was only an attempted rescue, but I agree, you should thank Mr. for trying. I have never really understood why cats get stuck in trees. I am pretty sure you can all come down if you want to.

The Island Cats said...

Wow. What I wouldn't give to be able to climb a tree. And not the cat tree that's in our house. ~Wally

Josie Two Shoes said...

Quite an adventure you had, Carlton! Sadly, when God invented kitties he gave them wonderful claws for climbing, but forgot to give them the brain microchip to tell them back down the tree, the same way you came up. One simply can't climb down a tried. I'm glad you made it safely to the ground, perhaps it will be awhile before you try another high-sky adventure, but I know the temptation is a hard thing to pass by. :-)

Darla M Sands said...

Oh, this reminds me of when my dilute torti Tilly fell from a neighbor's tree. To this day I have no idea how I caught her without both of us tumbling down the hillside where the tree grows. I'm so glad my two cats are now content being indoor only. Be careful out there, Carlton! :)